Monday, June 15, 2020

015 #blogjune 2020 - EQ PHONE HOME - part TWO

015 #blogjune 2020

 " I'll be right here."
- ET

Song of the Blog:
"Boy, you're an alien, your touch so foreign
It's supernatural, extraterrestrial"

 - Katy Perry



In 1982, the year I turned 15, the world was obsessed with this little alien called ET - and so was I... The movie made a huge impression on me. I have seen it numerous times, own the DVD have the soundtrack and whenever I was at a Madame Tussaud I would have to get a picture taken with that 'creature'. Ok - real fans of my blogs might remember last year's one with a similar theme (here) - but this is the special edition... with more bits!



I got the toy (of course) and collected any clippings I could find to paste into an exercise book that I have kept all those years. Bits from magazines, snippets from newspapers, photos, you name it. I even bought an extra copy of the EPPO magazine in week 49, just so I could cut it up and stick it in the book. At that time I thought it would be SO cool to have an actual ET mask like in the picture. Now, I think it looks rather creepy!!



The other day I was reading some old Batman comics, when one of the bad guys was actually wearing a mask that reminded me a lot of that ET one! - There have been some fun ET cameos in other comics as well.In Uncanny X-Men #245 (1989) we not only see ET - but Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Jawas, Jabba the Hutt, Boba Fett, Yoda, the Xenomorph Alien and Alf! I love those little Easter Eggs in comics.


Toy-wise, I still have the original larger ET from 1982 - but I have since acquired an Elliot on the famous bike (that sits in front of a moon lamp!) and another version of the friendly alien. Plus for one of my birthdays I got the awesome spaceship that takes the little guy back to his home planet.


No comments:

Post a Comment