Monday, June 8, 2020

008 #BLOGJUNE 2020 - Papa Can You Hear Me?

008 #blogjune 2020

“Papa, potatoes, poultry, prunes and prism, are all very good words for the lips.”
― Charles Dickens


Song of the Blog:
"Here is the star it’s Barbapapa
He’ll introduce all of the other Barbapapas
They’ve got a lot of wild disguises
They can change their shapes and sizes
Very easily….
"
 - Barbapapa Theme Song



My father passed away in 1999, the year I turned 32 - I can't believe it has been 21 years already. In dutch, we call our dads 'papa' ... my papa and I both loved reading. I will always remember my dad with large stacks of books near his chair and a generously filled bookcase, that had a diverse selection of novels and non-fiction. In 1975, when I was eight years old my reading was still mainly restricted to comic book. I had been learning to read through the 'Donald Duck' magazine and old Tintin books from my dad. But things were starting to shift. The shape of things to come. With the new EPPO magazine in my life, I was introduced to new worlds. Just like Asterix that year who crossed the ocean to visit America, there was a great crossing over to more teenage directed material.



That's not to say I still didn't enjoy the more kid friendly variety - like the adventures of Barbapapa.  Fun Fact: The name actually comes from the french "barbe à papa" which translates as 'Beard of Papa' but actually means cotton candy (or candy floss).



In the seventies I grew up with the animated stories of this shape-shifting family of colourful blobs. So when the candy shop JAMIN had an comic book out, I had to have a copy. It has shifted with me all around the world and after 45 years still sits in my bookcase surrounded by Asterix, Storm, Joop Klepzeiker and Franka (to name a few). I even still have the whole family as figurines on one of my shelves.



Barbapapa and Barbamama had seven children: Four sons: Barbabravo, a sports fan (red), Barbabright, a scientist (blue), Barbazoo, a nature enthusiast (yellow) and Barbabeau, a painter (black and furry), as well as three daughters: Barbalala, a musician (green), Barbabelle, a beauty queen (purple), and Barbalib, an intellectual (orange). My favourite was always Barbabeau - the painter (in Dutch BarbaBoB).

The comic book was created by the French couple Annette Tison and Talus Taylor, who came up with the idea of Barbapapa fifty years ago!
"Clickety Click—Barba Trick"

No comments:

Post a Comment