Wednesday, June 10, 2020

010 #blogjune 2020 - Timmy is on my side

010 #blogjune 2020

"We learned many years ago that the rich may have money, but the poor have time. "
- Cesar Chavez


Song of the Blog:
"Dear Timmy, don't feel alone. We'll meet you where you're at.
If I'd known the power in a word, I would have showered you with paragraphs.
I understand you think it's as bad as it can be
It gets better, so much better, boy, you can trust me.
"
 - Everlife



In 1977, the year I turned ten years old, I went on a holiday to Canada and America with my grandmother. Not only do I have the best memories from that trip, it was also the first time I kept a journal. Besides lots of folders and bits that I took back home, I also got a few American comics.

These comics are SO colourful!!!

Casper, Hot Stuff and Richie Rich (and Timmy Time). For well over 40 years they have been in my collection and as I picked them this week I was instantly returned back in time when we travelled in a motorhome along the West Coast of the USA. When looking at them, I am questioning the fact that they were all priced differently; 35, 30 and 50 cents.


Most people will know Casper, the friendly ghost -  even if only through the 1995 movie of the same name, starring Christina Ricci. Hot Stuff was basically a devilish version of Casper. I believe DreamWorks Animation is developing a live-action/CGI film about this little fella. I see the comic #141 is worth about $9 now, that is 30 times more than what I paid for it!



Richie Rich and Timmy Time was a short-lived comic book series published by Harvey Comics in 1977. Only this one issue was ever published. The actual Richie Rich comic stories started way back in November 1960; created by Warren Kremer. In 1985 the Marvel imprint Star Comics published a title called 'Royal Roy'. Harvey sued Star for copyright infringement, claiming that Roy was a blatant copy of Richie Rich.  The Royal Roy comic ended after six issues and the lawsuit was dropped. A live action film adaptation, was released in 1994, with Macaulay Culkin as the titular character. Fun Fact: At the time of filming, Macaulay Culkin actually was the richest kid in the world. At the time I was 27 and the movie definitely didn't live up to my memories of the actual comic. NOW - where is my Timmy Time movie!
(( Not to be confused with the TIMMY TIME lamb animation series, by the way!!! ))



Whilst reading the Timmy Time comic, one frame (time)jumped out. Where he says, "Can't we go back to the year 2019"... I think we all feel like that - let's cancel this year, go back to 2019 and reboot the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment