Thursday, June 11, 2020

011 #blogjune 2020 - Super Duper 70s

011 #blogjune 2020

“There is a superhero in all of us, we just need the courage to put on the cape.”
- Superman


Song of the Blog:
"I'm more than a bird
I'm more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
And it's not easy to be me
"
 - Five for Fighting



In 1978, the year I turned eleven years old, there were SO many cool movies. I still own many of the adaptions or books of these films. I have always been a big fan of movie adaptions in comic book form.


There was 'Lord of the Rings', a story that would later become way bigger than this little animated version. I have the cool photo-novel version, these were very popular in the 70s. Animal House, I don't think I saw that when it came out, but I did somehow end up with the comic. Jaws 2, sadly this adaptation has fallen apart over the years… Day of The Dead, I really liked zombie films back then. I don't have the comic book of that one - just a novelisation,  Grease, okay… no book for that one - but I do still own the soundtrack on tape AND record. But… truly 1978 it was the year of Superman.


Christopher Reeve was well cast and I simply loved the movie. It even had Marlon Brando as his Kryptonian father! The whole flying around the earth to turn back time was a bit much, but hey… he was flying…!!!
For years I have had the giant french movie poster on a wall somewhere.
But it wasn't just a super movie year, comic wise the special book of Superman VS Ali came out… such a classic. Neal Adams at his best!
Please make the movie, with Will Smith as Ali (again) - it can't be any worse than the Superman VS Batman film….



I have seen some fun variations of the Neal Adams cover over the years. I especially love the 'Harley Quinn' one (middle). Instead of President Carter it has Obama instead! But, how many famous people do YOU recognise from the original cover. For instance did you know the BEATLES are on there (yellow outlined below) and I think only on the Dutch version you can even spot the old Dutch queen, Juliana. The front and back of this comic book became like a 'Where's Wally' (or Waldo) of famous faces.



No comments:

Post a Comment