Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Happy Paperback Book Day

"There’s nothing like a printed book;
the weight, the woody scent, the feel, the look."
- E.A. Bucchianeri
 
Reading a LARGE paperback on a cruise ship.
Song of the Blog:
"It's a thousand pages, give or take a few.
I'll be writing more in a week or two.
I could make it longer if you like the style.
I can change it 'round,
And I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer."

- The Beatles

To be honest, I prefer reading hardcovers (HC) - most of the novels I collect, like my Stephen King collection are in HC format. But I do have copies of a few of his novels in paperback format. The original paperback format is quite handy to take along in order read on a plane, at the beach or on a cruise ship (the first paperback books were aimed at railway passengers). My pockets have always been quite big, so it would easily facilitate a novel. These days most of my reading happens on my tablet and rarely ever do I even buy a novel in paperback format. Some of the King paperbacks I bought second hand purely for the cool covers (The Stand, because I read it a lot).



As a designer/illustrator I love book covers, they say you can't judge a book by its cover - but what if you actually just like covers. I mean, some of the artwork used for the covers could easily be framed and put on a wall. The cover art for Salem's Lot (1976), created by James Plumeri,with the red drop of blood dripping from the embossed mouth doesn't even have the book title or author's name on it. James Plumeri also did the design for my paperback of The Shining (1978), it actually looks to be shining with the reflective silver-like Mylar coated cover. Two of my favourite paperback books. The Stand cover art is by Don Brautigam. It was awarded "Cover of the Year" by Marketing Bestsellers in 1980.


Sadly, the cover art is nearly destroyed because of all the reading!

But my other all-time favourite paperback novel, not because of its cover, is The World According to Garp (1978). First read on a holiday to Sweden. I have had several copies - some I have given away. This green version, one I couldn't find much info about online, has been read A LOT !!! Some other example of paperbacks still in my bookcases, are books from Dean Koontz, Carl Hiaasen, Jonathan Carroll and Chuck Palahniuk.

Some of my paperbacks back in my old man cave.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment